The Community Engagements are an opportunity for the participants to become a part of the local community projects. By working at sustainable organizations and businesses you experience the initiatives and visions living in Järna.
The local community has opened itself up to give the freedom for YIP participants to develop their businesses, taking on real tasks. The goal is to achieve things which would not have been possible without the help from YIP participants.
The Community Engagements are not just placements, but an opportunity to make real change. Not being ‘a fifth wheel on the wagon’ is important.
A few of the organizations
These are a few of the organizations cooperating with YIP to make the Community Engagements a reality:
- Vidarkliniken is the only Antroposophical hospital in Sweden. It is run as a non-profit foundation. The foundation’s aim is to care, educate and rescue within the fields of Anthroposophical Medicine. The clinic was founded 1985 and is situated in Ytterjärna. (In Norse Mythology Vidar is the good that saves the wold from Ragnarok – the end).
- Skillebyholm is a biodynamic farm with 53 acres of land, situated Outside of Järna. The landscape contains a pice of the Sörmland Archipelago. Skillebyholm was founded 1974 as an education for biodynamic farmers and garderners.
- Saltå By is situated outside Järna, and was founded in 1942 as a small therapeutic farm for children and youth with special needs. Today, Saltå is a small village with 30 houses; a café and shop, schoolbuidnings, workshops, student and co-worker homes.
- Skilleby Trädgård is a biodynamic farm producing high quality food sold to some of the top restaurants in Stockholm.
- Mikaelgården is a Curative Home with a school for children 9–16. It is also a community homestead with curative horseriding.
- SEE! COLOUR! From the 15th of May till the 2nd of October 2011 Järna becomes the stage of the unique event SEE! COLOUR! Presenting four parallel exhibitions spread over the entire campus. This event is being made possible with the help of many young international volunteers.
These are some of the projects available through the Community Engagements:
- Creating a concept, design and marketing plan to sell local produce. Then: realizing it all.
- Planting hedges instead of fences to bring ecology to the farms.
- Land art & Landscaping.
- Renovating water cleaning systems.
- Working with biodynamic/organic cooking and food preparation.
- Developing the Kulturcentrum Järna Gardens.
- Cleaning the river system in the local area.
- Creating social spaces in the forests.